CKPower invests in 3 types of power plant with total installed capacity of 2,167 megawatt, which consist of:
  • Hydroelectric power plants with total installed capacity of 1,900 megawatt
  • Cogeneration power plants with total installed capacity of 238 megawatt
  • Solar power plants with total installed capacity of 29 megawatt
Currently, 89% of the Company’s installed capacity are from renewable energy, 88% of installed capacity are in Lao PDR, while the remaining 12% of total installed capacity are located in Thailand.

Click here for more information about CKPower’s power plants.

The Company discloses monthly operating statistics in Investor Relations section on the website. Please click here for more information.

Storage Dam impounds water in a reservoir constructed higher than the powerhouse and uses the water pressure from the height difference of water levels between the reservoir and the powerhouse to spin the turbine with high velocity to generate electricity. The water in the reservoir can be stored and used in electricity production later throughout the year. Nam Ngum 2 Hydroelectric Power Plant is a storage dam hydroelectric power plant of CKPower.

Run-of-River hydroelectric power plant operates on the river without water storage capacity or water diversion, where the water intake volume is equal to the water outflow volume at all time. This type of hydroelectric power plant does not alter natural flow of the river and requires relatively low height difference between upstream and downstream water levels. The water will flow through the turbines and cause the blades to spin at a relatively low rotational speed to generate electricity. Xayaburi Hydroelectric Power Plant is a run-of-river hydroelectric power plant of CKPower.

35% of total water flow in the Mekong River is contributed from Lao PDR through natural rainfalls and side flows from small rivers within Lao PDR, while 16% of total water flow is contributed from China.

China Myanmar Lao PDR Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Total
Catchment Area (%) 21 3 25 23 20 8 100
Water Flow (%) 16 2 35 18 18 11 100

Source: Overview of the Hydrology of the Mekong Basin, Mekong River Commission – November 2005

Storage dams in China have been built mainly to generate electricity, where the dams will store part of the water during the rainy season and release the stored water during the dry season, enabling the dams to generate electricity throughout the year. The storage of water during the rainy season to be used during the dry season in upper Mekong River in China has resulted in lower volatility of water levels in the lower Mekong River.

CKPower focuses on investing in clean and environmentally friendly energy projects, which have a stable cash flow and a power purchasing agreement with reliable off-takers. Depending on the energy types, CKPower requires a rate of return of 10-15% for a Green Field Project and 7-10% on a Brown Field Project.

CKPower has a policy to pay dividend not less than 40% of the net profit of separate financial statements after deduction of corporate income tax and legal reserve. Dividend payment will depend on the Company’s cash flows, investment plan, obligations under the conditions of loan agreements, and other relevant factors. In the past, the dividend payments were typically higher than the policy level. For more information about dividend payment, click here.

The Company discloses all debentures information in Investor Relations section on website, click here for more information.

CKPower seeks to become one of the region’s largest producers of electricity from renewables with one of the lowest carbon footprints in support of Thailand’s effort to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2065. The Company target to increase its installed capacity to 4,800 megawatts by 2024 which all new installed capacity will based on renewables in Thailand and ASEAN, namely, hydro power, solar power and wind power, which will result in 95% of the Company’s total electricity generating capacity being based on renewables